Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby: My Opinion

Going into this book I wasn't sure of how much I would like it. I tend to prefer books set in the modern time, and usually even the future. However, I really enjoy this book so far (and that's saying a lot for a book we had to read!). I particularly like the way Fitzgerald presents characters. Like I said in my other post, he doesn't beat around the bush and describes them directly. Another thing I have enjoyed is the stlye of writing. He puts the book in the point of view of Nick, and not Gatsby. This presents the events in a different way and we see the love affair of Gatsby from a different view. This book is set in the rich part of Long Island, where everyone, besides Nick, has a giant home, throws elegant parties, and can afford almost anything they desire. This is a unique look into the 1920's and so far I have really enjoyed this book.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree. I think that having the book set from Nick's point of view helps to add further contrast to nick's personality to the other characters. I also like how nick is so blunt about how he is (honest, trustworthy, hardworking) and how the other characters are (lying, egotistic, deceptive).

    ReplyDelete