"I glanced seaward- and distinguished nothing except a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock."
Now granted I had to look up a more detailed meaning than what I gathered from reading, there are many symbols placed in this book. One important symbol is the green light. This certain green light stands at the end of Daisy's dock in East Egg. "He stretched out his arms toward the dark water in a curious way." (pg.25) In my opinion, this green light symbolized Gatsby's hope that one day he will be reunited with Daisy. Nick sees him stretching his arms out towards the far away dock, hoping that he can reach Daisy soon enough. He hopes that his dreams of their love will one day become reality again, and we find out that he solely moved to West Egg to be near her.
No comments:
Post a Comment