Monday, April 23, 2012
The Great Gatsby: Shroud of Mystery, Presented from the Eyes of Nick Carraway
In the book, The Great Gatsby, the protagonist of the novel, Jay Gatsby, isn't even introduced with dialogue until Chapter 3. Throughout the first two chapters, Gatsby is referenced and mentioned as the mysterious neighbor who lives in the almost unrealistic mansion. On pg. 26, Nick sees his neighbor outside in the dark, not really knowing what he is doing. "When I looked once more for Gatsby he had vanished, and I was alone again in the unquiet darkness." This sort of mystery and intrigue presents the main character in a different way than I thought before reading this book. I though Fitzgerald would present Gatsby in the first chapter, but instead he puts the point of view from Nick Carraway. This spin on things makes me interested to keep reading because I like the change of pace from the protagonist being the narrator.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment