Monday, February 6, 2012

The Pretender

 In the play "Othello", there is a common theme of deception. Throughout the play Iago is controlling people through lies and promises that are eventually going to help him out in the end, or so he thinks. That is why I chose the song "The Pretender" by the Foo Fighters. This song is about someone being lied to and they eventually realize it and try to fight back and rebel against their "puppet master", or the one controlling them. A couple of lines that I found to be relevant to this theme of deception are: "What if I say I'm not like the others? What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?", "In time or so I'm told, I'm just another soul for sale", and "Keep you in the dark you know they all pretend."
 These lyrics from the song just further expand on Iago's controlling nature and how he keeps Roderigo in the dark on the subjects and betrays him eventually. This song especially applies to Roderigo because he is Iago's pawn and he tries sticking up for himself ("What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?) but through lies Iago tricks him again.


No comments:

Post a Comment